September 6, 2010

Threadcakes

I did not, alas, win Threadcakes this year. I cannot say that I am terribly surprised or disappointed as the winning cakes were all pretty fantastic.

I can, however, take a few lessons away from what did win. Please note that this is my own analysis/opinion and does not necessarily reflect the reality of the Threadcakes judging.
  1. Cake isn't really an important component. Yes, there should be some cake, but it's more of an afterthought than a main component. Cake is a building foundation, not an integral part and building tiers is a waste of time unless you're going to carve them into something intricate.
  2. If you don't do fantastic gumpaste/fondant/and/or pastillage you are not going to win.
  3. Corollary to 2 -- if the gumpaste/fondant/and/or pastillage is not incredibly detailed you are not going to win.
  4. Cute does not win. See point 3 about incredibly detailed. Sure, it won the first year, but it hasn't even placed the last two.
  5. Picking a cute but non-complex cake and executing it well will not be enough (see points 1-4).
  6. I need to start planning considerably earlier next year and start on the gumpaste as soon as the contest opens if I have any hope of ever placing.
This might sound like sour grapes, but it's really not. It's more a reference for myself for next year as to how to possibly win/place/show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cake Ninja asks that you keep it clean, polite, and non-spammy. The Cake Ninja reserves the right to delete any comment that is deemed to violate the above. Also, it'd be nice if you gave me a name to refer to you by, otherwise for all I know I have just one anonymous commenter :D