February 1, 2012

Threadcakes

Yes, I am already thinking about threadcakes again.

Three years, only one cake submitted, and I haven't been overly happy with any of them. However, it's winter, and that means that I won't be fighting awful heat and humidity. And, the rules are the same as last year, and the guy who runs it has stated publicly that we can start baking now.

So I'm starting to think about it. If I started now, I would have plenty of time to do gumpaste (and redo it when I hated it).  The issue is just picking a design.

The first year I did this is not a pipe and my cake wasn't stacked well and the rice krispie pipe plant was too big for the cake.

The following year I did fail and the results were better, but not fabulous.

This year I did Color Wheel and I liked it in concept, but not in execution (largely due to not using good ingredients).

Winning cakes have all been from much more complicated designs, but I'm not certain I want to sign on for that level of complexity.

Oh well, it's only February, I have time to figure it out.

4 comments:

  1. I think a penguin themed cake would win :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find me a printed threadless design with a penguin and I'll consider it :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a few, but this one looks like it would transfer to a cake well: http://www.threadless.com/product/2941/A_Penguin/tab,guys/style,shirt

      Delete
  3. Go, cake ninja, go!! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

The Cake Ninja asks that you keep it clean, polite, and non-spammy. The Cake Ninja reserves the right to delete any comment that is deemed to violate the above. Also, it'd be nice if you gave me a name to refer to you by, otherwise for all I know I have just one anonymous commenter :D